Friday, May 29, 2009

Public art







It occurred to me this trip that public art is such a natural part of city life. I think it might be the kind of thing that when you don't see it you don't think about it, but when you see it and experience it, you realize what a gift it is and how much you take it for granted. I even appreciated the rather intestinal coppery blobby effort by the Cheesecake Factory. Sitting inside, however, is a little disconcerting as the theme is consistent and you do feel as if you are having dinner within someone's gut.




Today was about toting bags, managing finances of fourteen year olds and shopping in stores that don't carry my size. I mostly used my travel time to experience what the streets of Chicago have to offer. No admission fees and really interesting installations. Even the Tribune Building walls offer literal pieces of history from all over the world.





It was a chilly day, but I insisted we use some of their parents' money for cultural enrichment. They groaned and exchanged looks with one another, but took their medicine like good girls and forked over their precious dollars for an architectural river and lake tour. One less t-shirt they could buy, but I think maybe they won't regret it in the long run.



Chip and I ducked out for one drink in the Signature Lounge of the Hancock Building while the girls started their scrapbooks, counted their loot and took a rest. If you know me at all, then you can guess I believe firmly that if you are going to pay an admission price for a view, it had better include a drink in my hand to go with said view.




The precious cargo flies home Friday. What will I do with myself when they are gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment